Monday, May 26, 2008

Langston Hughes, "Theme for English B"

I personally don't consider Hughes' poetry "African American." Not due to some ridiculous notion that racial designations should be abandoned; I don't catagorize it because I have never read a Langston Hughes poem which I couldn't understand simply because I am white. His communication skills were astounding. He could write for any audience he so pleased, be it negro children or Ivy Leauge English professors. Unlike so many black poets whose work only came in to public eye through a revival, Hughe's poetry was recognized for its quality from the get go.

The manner of speech and the attitude used by Hughes to describe the assignments given to him by his English professor illustrate the way educated black men felt about the teachings of white universities. They always aspired to acheive but felt that they never should abandon their roots while writing either poetry or prose.

No comments: